Thursday 5 May 2011

Module 4, 7th artist: Maurizio Cattelan


Maurizio Cattelan is Italian contemporary artist. Since the early 1990s, his work has provoked and challenged the limits of contemporary value systems through its use of irony and humor. His work seems odd at some point but I felt he express strong comments to our society. In reality we tend to act with manners, force to smile, and talk with soft voice. But through his work, when I was looking at the work, I felt as if expressing what I really want to show and tell the others. I don’t have to hide my feelings and act differently. We don’t need to lock ourselves and pretend to be live in perfect life. Sometime, we all need to have some time off, and act natural as possible and show who we really are. As human being, it is natural to feel suffocate and suffer from particular issue, so Maurizio clearly points out that situation and creates art as humor but have strong meanings. Often time, I had to think deeply to figure out his concept of the art, but overall very impressive and interesting work!

No comments:

Post a Comment